Archive for the ‘Vaccines and Antibiotics’ Category
For those who are asking this question, here’s a video that’s worth a look:
My own approach to the vaccine question is this.
Whatever doesn’t kill you ultimately makes you stronger . . . if you survive whatever it is that’s trying to kill you.
[Of course, sometimes you don't survive.]
So I don’t get flu vaccines.
I figure the flu kills about 36,000 Americans a year — a bit more than car crashes. But almost all flu deaths are infants, the elderly, and the infirm. I’m a strong and healthy (as far as I know). So I figure the flu won’t kill me at this point.
I’d much rather survive it and become stronger for it.
All these vaccines and antibiotics have side-effects — many side-effects worse than the disease itself.
To know this, just listen to the disclaimers the pharmaceutical companies have to put into their advertisements.
Ritalin is frequently prescribed for kids with ADHD. Listed potential side-effects include . . .
- fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeats;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- aggression, restlessness, hallucinations, unusual behavior, or motor tics (muscle twitches);
- easy bruising, purple spots on your skin; or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).
Potential listed side-effects of Amoxicillin (a commonly prescribed antibiotic) include . . .
- diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction — fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
- white patches in your mouth or throat; or
- vaginal yeast infection (itching or discharge).
We’re also told that this is not a complete list of possible side-effects . . . because all side-effects are not knowable.
I’m no doctor. But, as a general rule, I would much rather put my trust in my own immune system (invented by God) than a pharmaceutical company.
I do, however, make some relevant exceptions to this rule.
Clearly, vaccines worked against Polio and Smallpox — two horrible diseases.
But consider this:
1) Did we have any vaccines against the Black Plague?
2) Did we have any vaccines against Scarlet Fever?
But these diseases went away because our immune systems figured out how to deal with them.
My question: Are these vaccines and antibiotics inhibiting our immune systems from developing defenses against disease?
There’s a lot of evidence that these antibiotics and vaccines are leading to the evolution of super-bacteria and viruses, just one of which could end up wiping out the human species.
My own approach is this. I will go to the doctor and accept an antibiotic prescription if, after one month, whatever illness I have hasn’t cured itself, or if I absolutely can’t function.
So far, these have been rare occurrences.
Keep in mind also that doctors can only prescribe what is approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Doctors cannot prescribe what people have known for thousands of years to work (home remedies such as green tea) because these have not been proven to work in clinical trials.
Almost nothing has been proven to work in clinical trials because there’s not enough money to test everything. So, for example, a drop of salt water squirted into the nasal passage to alleviate a stuffy nose can’t be prescribed because there have been no clinical trials to prove that a drop of salt water works. Or better yet, just put some Tobasco sauce on whatever you are eating. That will clear out your nasal passages.
You also have to question the role of the profit motive in all this. These giant pharmaceutical companies have a lot of money for lobbyists, not to mention bribes to doctors.
I’m all for profit motive. But when it comes to your health, look at all of this with a jaundiced eye.
I am, by no means, anti-science. But I have a lot of faith in a healthy diet, regular exercise, and my own immune system combined with some old-fashioned home remedies.
I look to vaccines and antibiotics as a last resort.